Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A new sculpture

A true story on how a creative person sometimes works through the process of creation.
It all began when weeks ago our local art association noted that the next show had a theme of "recycled" art. Whenever we do theme shows, most take a broad view and try to fit the theme into some piece of photography or a painting and place it in the show. Well since in my business I deal with lots odd boxes, I decided to take this project to task and do some sculpturing which is my first love, that is in choice of creative form. I love my wife, I know you know that.


So I began to gather box board materials and took last Saturday ( a day much to hot to be outside ) and started to sculpt something from these found and cut up materials, and white glue. All was well and fine until I discovered that almost five hours had gone by and I had reached a point that I could only at that time call a dead end. Which means stop and give it a rest. Walk away from it and see what you have in the morning.

Mean while, I must regress and tell you that before I started this sculpture I had read Janet's blog about the burial of Jesus.
And at the time I had responded about how moving and powerful this piece of writing had been for me. That her written work had placed strong images in my head. Not a bad thing. But in the world I work in, beauty is the goal.

Then while in church on Sunday without even a second to respond to the thought, it became very clear to me that the sculpture I was working on was meant to be a response to Janet's writing. This of course creates lots of issues which I am prepared to respond to. Like what do you do when the most powerful image that you have just created is just plan not pretty.
This is truly not a piece that you place in your living room and expect all your friends to tell you how beautiful it is. I have to tell you that this is a piece that repels me, just as the images repelled me in Janet's story. But knowing the truth is also freeing and I am at peace knowing that just as a photographer may have images that are not " NICE' to look at, that if we are true to our selves and we are creators, then sometimes we are going to create images that are also not "NICE". The quality of the creation is well executed, and when it is "DONE" it will stand the test of traditional , balance , shape, color , and form.
And I also know that just because I have created a not "NICE" piece. I does not reflect on me as a not "NICE" person. It is part of a longer complex story. A 3d illustration you might say.
Even as I am working on this piece I am remembering from my past that I have often found that I may start a project thinking that it will be beautiful piece, but what usually comes to the surface is a refection of more of the under belly of the world we live in. Which is both humbling and scary at the same time. I guess that at my age I just need to be true to my self and let the holy spirit run the show. I have no doubt he is a part of this piece.
I look forward to bringing it the next time we meet. I can think of nothing more to say, because both my sculpture and I
are in the middle of this creative process.
As a creator we need to allow ourselves the opportunity to get real and struggle with our thoughts, and our work.

5 comments:

batgirl said...

Robert, I'm humbled that my piece inspired you. I TOTALLY relate to the "dead end." I need to learn to take a break/walk away as you suggested. I tend to stare at my dead end and get depressed and down on myself for not being able to go on. Anyway, your post here presents some questions we all ponder. I'd like to link to this from the edge if it's okay... (probably won't wait for permission..not a patient gal!) Bless you. Can't wait to see your sculpture. One more thought. Jesus was the AUTHOR of our faith. The story He wrote and starred in was not pretty, but the ending is awesome.

batgirl said...

p.s.
I think you're "nice." :)

ellehasuly said...

I can understand and relate to what you are saying, Robert. Sometimes what comes out of us is not what we had hoped to present. Still, it can be used by God for His glory...There is a great deal to ruminate about in this piece...I will have to get back to you with what I have brewing in my spirit...

Robert said...

Janet, when I get to a place where I feel that this piece is ready to be photographed, we will get a photograph out to you to post. It feels like it will be a long time before we get together as a group to share this piece with all of you and I do plan to place it on public exhibition in about a week. What is cool is that as an organization they are required
to place at least one piece of every artist that submits, so I am sure to see it exhibited. Now I have the problem of titles and finishing touches.
Some times the hardest part.
AS for your being humbled by my creating a piece of art based on your writing. I have no control over that. Kid , listen to me loud and clear. God has given you a gift , clearly. A gift if shared will almost always bring resonse. In the world of the arts, we all feed off each other if we are really being honest. A beautiful sunset, watching two people walk down the street , catching the cat taking a nap on the porch. Images written or viewed demand some kind of response. I have only responded to a piece of writting that an editor has already told you was good for press.
Who knows how many others have responded to this piece of yours? The only difference is I have told you.

batgirl said...

Yes, how much of this art thing is really about community, fellowship, togetherness. I'll admit it's probably 90% for me. What fun would it be if no one looked at your pictures, read your stories, drank in your paintings and sculptures? I love reading a good book, but the experience is incomplete for me if I can talk to someone about it. And how GOOD would we be if there were no criticism? It's so cool to be Christian artists and know there is even more going on...God working in us and through us. Thank you again, Robert. That would be AWESOME if we can get a photo of the sculpture on the blog! I'd love to get some more art on the blog. I've seen photos of drawings, paintings and such on other blogs and they look great!