Thursday, July 12, 2007

Tools in the Garden

A few years back my daughter was on a mission trip in the Orient. When she returned, she gave me a hand tool that I will always cherish. What she gave me may not seem like much but I consider it huge when you put it in God's perspective. She brought me a hand forged machete knife. Now hand molding metal is not an easy task even in the best of conditions, but to have a blade made to by a man in the bush makes it even more remarkable. It has perfect balance just us one would expect from a tool with knowledge handed down from one generation to another. The culture and existance of this tribe depends on
the sharing of this knowledge for day to day living. No John D.s or mega sales from Home D. here, just solid oral tradition.
I knew exactly what I had been given. This was a gift from one father to another, brought to me by my daughter from half way around the globe. When I work in the garden, I like the quiet. I am always glad when I can turn off the lawn mower.
Working in the quiet of the garden with simple tools, listening to wild birds, witnessing Gods creation, and living by the traditions He has handed doen to us, is the best. This is His world we live in.

4 comments:

batgirl said...

What does Joe say? It's the simple things profoundly experienced? Peaceful thoughts. It was a joy to hear your daughter speak last night. What a sweetheart.

Unknown said...

Very cool gift she has given to you. I love our gardens as well even though I get very overwhelmed with the weeding...(any suggestions from one gardener to another?)sorta like our spiritual walks...we need to be sure to weed on a regular basis or they will overtake and become overwhelming. Thanks Bob!

ellehasuly said...

This was a slice of life laced with a serene sweetness. I was walking through your backyard with you and listening to the birds have their conversations. Thanks again.

Joy and hummus
Lynne

ellehasuly said...

Robert,
I forgot to congratulate you on a job well done with regards to your daughter. She was a joy to listen to that night, and my soul was refreshed and challenged. Give her a hug the size of Texas for me.

Have a cup o'joy,
Lynne